Which is worst – swinger, robber or liar?

Before we moved to CF in the borough of Eastleigh in 2000 from London, my husband did some research about the area. He revealed to his pregnant wife that CF was renowned for ‘swingers’. “What?” I’d never heard of this word, ‘swingers’. A kind of singing group, perhaps? “It means wife-swapping, possibly husband swapping too.” I really looked forward to the move.

I’ve never discovered why CF carries such a bizarre reputation, partly because I haven’t been invited to any club yet in the past 12 years.

It’s a quiet ‘village’ (not in a traditional sense anymore as there’re Asda and Waitrose) where nothing could really happen. I’m sure most of my British readers have never heard of this place and would struggle to place their finger on CF on a map.

However, on 13 September 2007, the fate of CF changed. CF made national headlines as the Metropolitan Police’s flying squad shot dead two suspected robbers during an alleged armed raid outside HSBC bank. I remembered vividly the BBC journalist described CF as ‘sleepy’. I felt a weird sense of excitement as CF was on the news for a whole day.

On 24 Nov 2011, a masked man robbed a courier delivering cash to the same HSBC bank. We were in the spotlight again.

Now, we have swingers and robbers in CF, borough of Eastleigh.

But, don’t forget we also have Chris Huhne in Eastleigh. He was the former cabinet minster and has just pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice.

The text exchanges read out in court between Chris Huhne and his 18 year old son, Peter, is the most heartbreaking about his downfall.

(Click images below to read more.)

Breakdown of father-and-son relationship

Breakdown of father-and-son relationship

British MP, Chris Huhne

Former British MP, Chris Huhne

I’d like to come back to the topic of this post, in Eastleigh: swinger, robber and liar, which one do you think is worst?

Can the borough of Eastleigh get any worse, mad and peculiar than these?

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Which is worst – swinger, robber or liar?

1. Maxim Sense

For a quiet “sleepy” village like CF, swingers, robbers and liars are shockers to the place. None of them is good and all three are candidates for worst. Swingers are highly immoral, robbers are threats to peace and security and liars, especially when they are the political leaders, are so bad a reputation. Honestly, Janet, I cannot answer your question. Congratulations, though, for this very revealing post.

1. Janet Williams Post author

It’s incredibly painful to read of the disappointments in politics. If the people in politics have some basic decency and a desire for good, the world would certainly be a much peaceful place.

2. Helen Williams

I remember reading about the armed robbery…it was a very exciting day, because when I opened the bbc website, the first two headlines were about Chandlers Ford and Pirbright – the armed robbery and Foot & Mouth Disease. It’s unusual enough to see one of those ‘sleepy’ villages in the national press, but both is just unprecedented.

As for Chris Huhne, the lying doesn’t bother me so much. I actually feel more disgust for the wife, who has dragged her personal life into the public eye, destroyed the relationship between her son and his father and behaved with a distinct lack of dignity. All in the name of revenge.

And all I can say about swinging, is just make sure you don’t have any pampas grass in your garden.

All-in-all, I think robbery is the worst. I pretty much expect politicians to bend the truth, and what swingers get up to in their own homes is completely up to them. But to think you have the right to something that you haven’t worked for, and to put people’s lives at risk in an attempt to get what you want. That, to me, is despicable.

1. Janet Williams Post author

Dear Helen,

Thank you very much for this useful information. I went to the back garden, and to my relief, we have a black bamboo, not pampas grass. I had never realised the significance of pampas grass until today — “as a code sign that the occupants engage in wife swapping”. God knows what a black bamboo might signify?

The British people seem to have some unwritten codes for certain things?

I’m amazed that writing this blog has ultimately improved my cultural awareness about swingers.

3. Tilly Bud - The Laughing Housewife

It’s all pretty nasty stuff: in different ways, but they can all hurt others.

I suppose I would say that swinging is the least worst if, and it’s a big if, everyone involved is equally up for it. So often we hear that one partner went along with it to keep the other partner happy. Morally, I think it’s a sink hole, damaging to relationships and self.

1. Janet Williams Post author

I’m amazed swinging is done so openly (from the information about my neighbourhood that I found on google. As a responsible blogger, I did a quick google search and I was totally shocked.)

4. Ruby

I didn’t know about the swinging in CF. Not sure I would describe it as a village- more a suburb of Eastleigh.

I tend to agree with Helen about Chris Huhne – it’s not really going to appear in the top ten of politicians’ transgressions, is i?. I suppose it was exaggerated by the fact that he tried to deny it, and that he was in a position where he was supposed to set an example to the rest of society. But even so, I wonder whether it was really in the public interest for the police to pursue the case.

And you didn’t mention the death of the MP that caused the previous by-election in Eastleigh!

5. Ruby

In “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseine, one of the characters offers “There is only one sin…and that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft…When you kill a man, you steal a life…When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness”

6. Bill Hayes

Me too, I agree with Helen. There is something ghastly about the way his ex-wife is behaving. She signs the traffic form, waits some years. Then she starts working with a national newspaper to entrap her ex husband through tape recorded phone calls (which incredibly clumsy in the execution) all because he left her for a woman even uglier than her.

As for swingers and pampas grass – we’ve got it in our garden AND the people I bought house from were occasional swingers I found out some years later. No one has knocked at the door enquiring as to our availability.

7. Pingback: Vermin in Eastleigh | Janet's Notebook